Parenting Styles

I was raised by my mom and step-dad.  My step-dad was deployed quite a bit when my sister and I were young, so it was mostly our mom raising us.

My parenting style differs quite a bit from my mother's parenting style.  I try not to censor my daughter (neither did my mom with my sister and me, but there were still a few things that we were censored from, I think).  We let our daughter watch pretty much whatever she wants to watch.  There are scenes from some movies that I will not let her watch or even listen to.  Any sexual scenes in movies I either divert her attention or we both leave the room.

When I was younger, I remember my mother being at home with my sister and me a lot.  She was active duty Air Force (I think), but she was able to divert time for us.  I'm not able to do that right now, what with working and going to school, but I do what I can.  I know my husband does, too.

She let us listen to the music that she enjoyed listening to.  We do the same thing with our daughter, but the music tastes between me and my mother are very different.  My music is harsher sounding and has swearing.  Her music not so much.  I don't think she likes that we allow our daughter to listen to our music because of how different it is from hers.  She drove down for a visit about a year ago and all we listened to in her car were, well, kid songs.  I don't mind kid songs, but the same songs can get pretty annoying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversations

At the check-out line

Is It Really A Wonder?